Billings Field Fellow
February 17, 2018
The Billings Field Fellow will lead our field efforts to register MSU-B & Rocky Mountain College students to vote while recruiting student volunteers and interns and promoting our issue campaigns on campus. This requires that the fellow be able to both communicate organizational goals and advocate for our campaigns to young people in an intelligent, accessible, and fun way.
Applicants should have a passion for making real, tangible change in their communities. The Field Fellow will split time between our political and civic projects and will be responsible for implementing the campus field program under the supervision and with the support of the Billings Field Manager.
- Field Efforts: Responsible for meeting voter registration, voter mobilization and issue advocacy metrics in the field. Should not be afraid to hold a clipboard, talk to strangers, and occasionally wear a costume. This also includes providing proper training and support to interns and volunteers while in the field.
- Administrative Support: Assist the Field Manager in all administrative and outreach efforts as necessary, which may include but is not limited to data entry, volunteer turnout, preparation and execution of events, recruitment, donor outreach, and assisting with our internship program.
- Volunteer Outreach and Development: Responsible for building and deepening relationships with Billings volunteers. Requires not only recruiting volunteers but helping them grow as community leaders and strengthen their investment in FMT.
Gotta-Have Skillsets: Must be present for a candidate to move forward in the hiring process.
- Passion for grassroots organizing and building youth power, especially field work
- Ability to independently manage and complete multiple tasks and projects accurately and by deadline
- Ability to maintain a high level of energy in the field
Nice-to-Have Skill Sets: Not required, but having these skills would make a candidate’s transition into the job more seamless for the individual and the organization.
- Ability to communicate effectively with peers, with an emphasis on relatable, accessible language for young volunteers and interns.
- Ability to adapt to the needs of volunteers and interns in order to foster success.
- Familiarity with the MSU-B or Rocky Mountain College Campus & relationships with student groups and organizations on either or both campuses.
Strong Applicants will be:
- Team Player
- Self Motivated
- Funny (broadly defined)
- Cool (broadly defined)
- Shared office with the Forward Montana Billings staff
- Comfortable conducting fieldwork, including voter registration, canvassing, and street teaming, for up to 6 hours at a time, often in a stationary position
- Compensation: $11 per hour for up to 10 hours/week
- Contract Length: March 10 through May 25
- Location: Billings, MT
Women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, and LGBTQ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to Michael Nelson, Billings Field Manager, at email@example.com.