Forward Montana (FMT) and Forward Montana Foundation (FMF) are dedicated to engaging and mobilizing young Montanans to help shape their democracy and to improve their lives and the lives of fellow Montanans. We put young people on the front lines of civic engagement statewide, basing our efforts out of our three offices in Missoula, Bozeman, and Billings.
FMT is seeking a Field Manager in Billings, MT. The Field Manager will lead our grassroots campaigns, direct our voter engagement and leadership development programs (including facilitation of our internship program), and lead issue advocacy work in the greater Billings area. Applicants should have initiative and be self-reliant, and have a passion for making real, tangible change in their communities. The Field Manager will split time between both political and civic projects that fit within the statewide strategy of FMT.
- Program Implementation: Responsible for meeting and developing goals around voter registration, voter mobilization and issue advocacy, often requiring creative, strategic modes and methods. Should not be afraid to hold a clipboard, talk to strangers, and occasionally wear costumes.
- Relationship Building: Responsible for building and deepening relationships with Billings donors, partners, members, elected officials, and volunteers. Including volunteer recruitment and development and empowering our generation to grow as community leaders and strengthen their investment in FMT. Must be committed to building the skillsets, networks, and power of both young Montanans and allies of young Montanans.
- Leadership Development: Responsible for the management and implementation of FMT’s grassroots organizing internship. This includes both field training and classroom sessions. Must be comfortable with managing and training peers.
- Admin & Management: Responsible for the management and development of all Billings field staff including, but not limited to, field fellows, field organizers, and interns. Responsible for cleaning, stocking and organizing the Billings office.
Gotta-Have Skill Sets:
- Must be present for a candidate to move forward in the hiring process.
- Passion for grassroots organizing and building youth power, including experience with field work
- Ability to independently manage and complete multiple tasks and projects accurately and by deadline
- Demonstrated ability to manage and empower a diverse team of peers at varying levels of experience to achieve necessary metrics and qualitative outcomes
- Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of stakeholders, including community partners, volunteers, donors, and elected officials
Nice-to-Have Skill Sets: Not required, but having these skills would make a candidate’s transition into the job more seamless for the individual and the organization.
- Experience creating and maintaining accurate databases
- Experience in planning and facilitating successful goal oriented events & meetings
- Demonstrated ability for proactive thinking
- Comfort with frequent change and urgency
Strong Applications will be:
- Team Player
- Self Motivated
- Funny (broadly defined)
- Cool (broadly defined)
- Field hours will be completed in all weather conditions
- Shared office with Billings Voter Registration Organizer, Field Fellows and Interns
- Comfortable conducting field work, including voter registration, canvassing, and street teaming, for up to 4 hours at a time, often in a stationary position
- Will have to work some nights and weekends and expected to travel for statewide programmatic events and regional field events (1-2 times per month).
- Compensation: $36,000 – $39,000 per year depending on experience. This is a non-exempt position.
- Benefits: FMT offers a competitive benefits package including health insurance, IRA match, professional development funds, and generous paid time off, including paid family and medical leave.
- Location: This is a full-time position based out of Billings, MT.
- Direct Reports: Billings Field Manager will be responsible for managing the Billings Voter Registration Organizer, Field Fellows, and interns.
Women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, and LGBTQ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to Amara Reese-Hansell, Program Director, at email@example.com with the email line “Billings Field Manager Application”.