June 26, 2020
Because you believe in a Montana that believes in you.
Forward Montana (FMT) and Forward Montana Foundation (FMF) is dedicated to engaging and mobilizing young Montanans to help shape their democracy and to improve their lives and the lives of fellow Montanans. We put young people on the front lines of civic engagement statewide, basing our efforts out of our two offices in Missoula, Bozeman, and Billings.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Digital Communications Manager is responsible for executing the communications strategy that supports programmatic and development efforts at Forward Montana and Forward Montana Foundation. If you have a knack for creativity or writing, a love of making data-driven decisions, and a desire to change the world, then this position might be for you!
- Communications Strategy (20%): Suggest new areas of communications growth for the organization as determined by individual interest and organizational need. Ensure that digital content reflects the organization’s brand and vision. Track media coverage and identify media moments and response opportunities.
- Social Media Management (20%): Manage the organization’s social media accounts (Instagram and Facebook), curate and schedule content, and identify creative opportunities to use social media to reach target audiences. Work with the Executive Director and Program Director to manage digital ads.
- Email Communications (20%): Work closely with the Development and Program Teams to draft member emails and set up action pages, sign-up forms, and emails in EveryAction.
- Website Maintenance (20%): Draft and post content to the website (we use WordPress) and improve website navigation and accessibility. This includes working with the Executive Director to measure, track, and optimize the effectiveness of digital communications including using Google Analytics.
- Content Creation (20%): Create fun and engaging graphics, short videos, and social media posts that support the programmatic and development efforts. This position may manage a Content Creator and work with local graphic designers.
(Note, time spent on each category may shift depending on the skills and interest of the Communications Manager and needs of the organization during that time).
Gotta-Have Skill Sets: Must be present in this position.
- Familiarity with the basic HTML and WordPress or another similar website platform
- Eye for creativity including experience in or interest in designing graphics (we use Canva) and short videos
- Is quirky and funny (both broadly defined) and can communicate with the Forward Montana tone and voice on social media platforms
- Love of building relationships and communicating organizational successes;
- Experience in communications, public relations, digital organizing, graphic design, or a related field;
- An understanding and desire to implement diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice frameworks in all aspects of work;
- Commitment to a process of feedback, learning and personal growth;
- Ability to independently and successfully manage and complete multiple tasks and projects accurately and by deadline; and
- Comfort working remotely, including an ability to build relationships through travel and technology with remote team members and your manager.
Strength in any of the areas (choose at least one):
- Skilled at designing graphics or short videos
- Love of proofreading and ability to write compelling stories that communicate a vision and program
- Comfortable with HTML, WordPress or another similar website platform, and / or Google Analytics
- Comfortable with EveryAction, MailChimp, or another email communications platform
Strong Applications will be:
- Team Player
- Self Motivated
- Funny (broadly defined)
- Cool (broadly defined)
- Shared office space with regional field team or remote office space
- Flexible and at times unusual work hours, including evenings and weekends
- Compensation: $38,000 – $39,000 Non-Exempt
- Benefits: FMT offers a competitive benefits package including health insurance, IRA match, professional development funds, and generous paid time off, including paid family and medical leave.
- Location: Based anywhere in Montana; we have offices in Missoula, Bozeman, and Billings
Women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, and LGBTQ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and either a 1-2 page writing sample or 1-2 graphic or website design examples to Kiersten Iwai, Executive Director, at email@example.com with the email subject line “Digital Communications Application”. In your cover letter please indicate an area of interest: social media management, email communications, website maintenance, or content creation.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please note that we will start interviews on June 24.