Forward Montana (FMT) and Forward Montana Foundation (FMF) are dedicated to engaging and mobilizing young Montanans to help shape their democracy and to improve their lives and the lives of fellow Montanans. We put young people on the front lines of civic engagement statewide, basing our efforts out of our three offices in Missoula, Bozeman, and Billings.
FMT is seeking a Lead Organizer in the Flathead Valley, including but not limited to: Kalispell, Columbia Falls, Polson, and/ or Whitefish. The Lead Organizer will be responsible for recruiting and leading a team of volunteers in collecting voter registration, conducting issue advocacy, developing and facilitating community partnerships, and implementing our voter engagement programs in the greater Flathead area.
The Flathead Lead Organizer will build relationships with students, administrators, and community members to support civic engagement throughout the region. They will work closely with the Rural Outreach Coordinator to set and track goals in their community in accordance with Forward Montana’s statewide strategy.
This position is currently remote due to public health guidelines in regards to COVID-19, but applicants must be based in the Flathead Valley region in the instance in-person work resumes.
Applicants should take initiative, be self-reliant, and have a passion for making real, tangible change in their communities. The Lead Organizer will split time between both political and civic projects that fit within the statewide strategy of FMT.
- Program Implementation: Responsible for meeting program goals for voter registration, voter education, and issue advocacy set in coordination with the Missoula Field Manager through digital outreach over social media, phone, and text. Responsible for canvassing, street teaming, tabling, and class raps on local campuses and in their community, when/if in person contact resumes.
Will implement the field program including but not limited to recruiting, training, and managing volunteers, teaching and coordinating weekly intern classes on community organizing, and keeping organized field schedules of interns and volunteers. Should be metric driven and comfortable conducting field shifts (when/if they are resumed) for 6 to 8 hours at a time. Identify creative locations (digital and physical) to gather and promote voter registration and issue advocacy that reaches our target constituency – Montanans ages 18-34.
- Relationship Building: Must be invested in building the power and capacity of both young Montanans and FMT; Responsible for developing and/or deepening relationships with campus administrators, educators, student leaders, as well as a variety of community leaders and members; Responsible for representing FMT’s brand to long time supporters and increasing visibility of the organization to bring new folks into the work; should be comfortable talking to a variety of stakeholders and planning and hosting small civic engagement events (in person and digitally) such as election watch parties and progressive happy hours.
- Admin & Management: Responsible for organizing, conducting quality control, and turning in all voter registration forms to the appropriate county offices; Must be organized and trustworthy.
Gotta-Have Skill Sets: Must be present for a candidate to move forward in the hiring process.
- Passion for grassroots organizing and building youth power, especially field work
- Ability to independently manage and complete multiple tasks and projects accurately and by the deadline
- Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of stakeholders, including peers, community partners, volunteers, donors, and elected officials; Must be able to effectively communicate with a remote supervisor
- Demonstrated perseverance & creativity to hit metric goals
- Ability to stay productive and focused while traveling (when/ if in-person field work resumes)
- Ability to take initiative in building up programs
Nice-to-Have Skill Sets: Not required, but having these skills would make a candidate’s transition into the job more seamless for the individual and the organization.
- Experience, either professional or voluntary, with field work
- Experience in planning successful events and meetings
- Demonstrated ability for proactive thinking and a comfort with frequent change and urgency
- Familiarity with your community’s campus & relationships with student groups and organizations as well as community organizations
- Comfortable public speaking
Strong Applicants will be:
- A Team Player
- Self Motivated
- Funny (broadly defined)
- Cool (broadly defined)
- Working from home and shared office with the regional field team when/if applicable
- Must have a valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Comfortable conducting field work, including voter registration, canvassing, and street teaming, for up to 6 hours at a time, often in a stationary position, in all weather conditions pending safety
- Will have to work some nights and weekends
- Compensation: $12-15 per hour for up to 20 hours per week
- Contract length: July 27th – November 10th
- Location: Travel is required for this position (when/ if in-person work resumes)
Women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, and LGBTQ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply: please submit a cover letter that addresses why building youth power through voter registration is important in the Flathead Valley & a resume to Erin Miller, Missoula Field Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org