Forward Montana (FMT) and Forward Montana Foundation (FMF) are dedicated to engaging and mobilizing young Montanans to help shape their democracy and to improve their lives and the lives of fellow Montanans. We put young people to the forefront of civic engagement statewide, basing our efforts in Missoula, Bozeman, Billings, and the Flathead Valley.
FMT is seeking one new member for our Voter Mobilization team in Billings. Voter Mobilization Organizers (VMO) will be responsible for coordinating and managing voter registration and field efforts, organizing efforts around civic holidays and events including National Voter Registration Day (NVRD), Student Voter Day (SVD), and a local candidate forum featuring municipal candidates.
VMOs will also be responsible for leading regional teams through Get Out The Vote (GOTV) efforts for the 2021 municipal elections. This includes talking to voters through a variety of creative tactics like door knocking/canvassing, events, phone calls, text messages, and through digital organizing strategies.
Applicants should be proactive problem solvers, have experience or an interest in working with large teams, and have a passion for local elections and getting out the dang vote!
- Field Shifts + Voter Registration:
- Conduct field shifts to meet voter registration goals for up to 8 hours at a time including canvassing, street teaming, tabling, hosting small events, and giving presentations in the community
- Manage and support interns and volunteers to conduct voter registration work. This includes but is not limited to: training and keeping organized field schedules for volunteers and interns
- Conduct quality control and data entry of all collected voter registration forms. Keep forms organized and turn in all forms to the appropriate county offices
- Event Coordination:
- Organize efforts around civic holidays and events including National Voter Registration Day (NVRD) and Student Voter Day (SVD), and a local candidate forum featuring municipal candidates
- Complete event planning tasks including but not limited to: promotion, outreach, logistic coordination, and follow up
- Responsible for meeting event recruitment goals and set in coordination with the regional Field Manager
- Get Out the Vote:
- Responsible for leading regional teams through Get Out The Vote efforts for the 2021 municipal elections
- Participate in a variety of creative tactics to talk with voters, including but not limited to: door knocking/canvassing, events, phone calls, text messages, and digital organizing
- Manage and support interns and volunteers to conduct voter mobilization work. This includes but is not limited to, training and keeping organized GOTV schedules for volunteers and interns
Gotta-Have Skill Sets: Must be present for a candidate to move forward in the hiring process.
- Passion for getting young people involved in local elections
- An understanding of the importance of building youth power through peer to peer relationships
- Ability to independently manage and complete multiple tasks and projects accurately and by the deadline
- Ability to communicate with various stakeholders including peers, community partners and leaders, volunteers, and community members
- Demonstrated ability to meet goals through standard, creative, and innovative ways
Nice-to-Have Skill Sets: Not required, but having these skills would make a candidate’s transition into the job more seamless for the individual and the organization.
- Experience, either professional or voluntary, with field work
- Ability to adapt with frequent change and potentially urgent conditions
- Familiarity with local community groups & existing relationships with young people-focused groups, student groups, or organizations
Strong Applicants will be:
- Interested in working with and getting to know a diverse regional team of organizers
- Comfortable learning new tasks quickly and taking initiative to ask questions
- Pending local and CDC health guidance, VMOs will be expected to work both in-person and virtually. This is subject to change based on COVID-19
- Optional shared office with regional field team
- Comfortable conducting fieldwork, including tabling, canvassing, and street teaming, for up to 8 hours at a time, often in a stationary position
- Occasional work on nights and weekends
- Some travel may be required
- Compensation: $14.00-$16.00 per hour for up to 20 hours/week
- Contract length: September 7th to November 19th
- Location: Billings
BIPOC, Women, LGBTQIA+, and disabled individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please submit a cover letter that addresses why building youth power through voter mobilization is important as well as a resume to the appropriate regional Field Manager, based on your location:
- Pari Kemmick, Billings Field Manager: email@example.com
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis with a preferred start date of September 7th.