Forward Montana (FMT) and Forward Montana Foundation (FMF) is dedicated to engaging and mobilizing young Montanans to help shape their democracy and to improve their lives and the lives of fellow Montanans. We put young people on the front lines of civic engagement statewide, basing our efforts out of our two offices in Missoula, Bozeman, and Billings.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Digital Communications Manager is responsible for executing the communications strategy that supports programmatic and development efforts at Forward Montana and Forward Montana Foundation. If you’re a strong writer, have a knack for making data-driven decisions, and have a desire to change the world, then this position might be for you!
This person will manage a full-time content creator. At times, you may manage 1-2 contractors and other staff.
While we encourage you to submit your application by August 6, applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The ideal start date for this person will be by September 8.
- Communications Strategy (25%): With support from the Forward Montana team, develop and execute a digital communications strategy that highlights Forward Montana and Forward Montana Foundation’s mission, vision, and work. Determine and propose new areas of communications growth for the organization as determined by individual interest and organizational need. Ensure that digital content reflects the organization’s brand and vision. Stay up to date on best practices.
- Social Media Management (25%): Manage the organizations’ social media accounts (Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter), curate and schedule content, and identify creative opportunities to use social media to reach target audiences. Work with the Executive Director and Program Director to manage digital ads.
- Email Communications (25%): Work closely with the Development and Program Teams to draft member emails and set up action pages, sign-up forms, and emails in EveryAction. Maintain automated email workflows. Monitor email performance and make changes as necessary.
- Website Maintenance (20%): Draft and post content to the website (we use WordPress) and improve website navigation and accessibility. This includes working with the Executive Director to measure, track, and optimize the effectiveness of digital communications including the use of Google Analytics.
- Content Creation (5%): Create fun and engaging graphics, short videos, and social media posts that support the programmatic and development efforts. This position will manage a Content Creator and work with local graphic designers.
(Note: time spent in each category may shift depending on the skills and interest of the Digital Communications Manager and needs of the organization during that time.)
Gotta-Have Skill Sets: Must be present in this position.
- Love of proofreading and ability to write compelling stories that communicate a vision and program;
- Familiarity with basic HTML and WordPress or another similar website platform and/or comfortable with EveryAction, MailChimp, or another email communications platform;
- A willingness to learn and communicate with the Forward Montana tone and voice across all social media platforms;
- An understanding and desire to implement diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice frameworks in all aspects of work;
- Commitment to a process of feedback, learning and personal growth;
- Ability to independently manage and prioritize various projects simultaneously by setting deadlines, assigning responsibilities, and monitoring progress for multiple projects; and
- Experience in communications, public relations, digital organizing, political campaigns, or a related field
Strength in at least 1-2 areas:
- Online Advertising: Comfortable designing and executing paid campaigns on Facebook, Instagram, Google, and other digital platforms.
- Website Maintenance: Comfortable with HTML, Google Analytics, and WordPress (or another similar platform).
- Email Communications: Comfortable developing and executing email strategies.
Strong applicants will:
- Be comfortable in rapid response situations and be able to quickly seize new opportunities
- Demonstrate a willingness to work in a highly collaborative environment and actively seek input and feedback from other members of the team
- Have a willingness to teach and empower other team members to be effective spokespeople for Forward Montana
- Be able and willing to ramp up work during the organization’s busy season
- Shared office space with regional field team or remote office space
- May have unusual work hours, including evenings and weekends
- Compensation: $40,000 – $45,000 Exempt
- Benefits: FMT offers a competitive benefits package including health insurance, IRA match, professional development funds, and generous paid time off, including paid family and medical leave.
- Location: Based anywhere in Montana; we have offices in Missoula, Bozeman, and Billings
Women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, and LGBTQ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and either a 1-2 page writing sample or 1-2 graphic or website design examples to Kiersten Iwai, Executive Director, at email@example.com with the email subject line “Digital Communications Application.” In your cover letter, please indicate an area of interest: social media management, email communications, or website maintenance.