Forward Montana (FMT) and Forward Montana Foundation (FMF) are dedicated to engaging and mobilizing young Montanans to help shape their democracy and to improve their lives and the lives of fellow Montanans. We put young people on the front lines of civic engagement statewide, basing our efforts out of our three offices in Missoula, Bozeman, and Billings.
FMT is seeking an Operations Intern in Missoula, MT. The Operations Intern will gain essential knowledge in building and maintaining a sustainable organization through hands-on experience. This person will be immersed in critical administrative tasks, giving them broad exposure to the foundation of any nonprofit: operations! Applicants should have initiative and be self-reliant, and have a passion for making real, tangible change in their communities.
- Development Duties: Responsible for processing and recording donations and collaborating with the Development Manager on donor appreciation tasks.
- General Bookkeeping: Assists in general bookkeeping including entering and tracking expenses and contributions, creating financial statements to track grant spending, and processing payroll. Work with program staff on credit card expenses, invoicing, and reimbursements.
- HR: Assist with the hiring processes and onboarding checklists and paperwork. Lead on employee and board appreciation projects. Responsible for updating the employee portal.
- Board Maintenance: Schedule and distribute board meeting logistics and materials. This includes updating the board portal.
- Community Organizing: Participate in Forward Montana’s internship classes to learn the ins and outs of grassroots organizing and issues campaigns.
This person will engage in other related tasks as determined by the Operations Manager.
Gotta Have Skill-Sets: Must be present in the candidate to move forward in the hiring process.
- An attention to detail, lover of spreadsheets and organized folders.
- Self-taught, classroom, or work experience with bookkeeping (this includes taking business management or accounting classes).
- Ability to independently manage and keep track of multiple projects and moving deadlines.
- Passion for building youth power and mission-driven work.
Nice to Have Skill-Sets: Not required by having these skills would make a candidate’s transition into the job more seamless for the individual and organization.
- Familiarity with or experience in Quickbooks or a similar accounting software.
- Experience, either professional or voluntary, with Microsoft Excel/Google Sheets.
Strong Applicants will be:
- Team Player
- Funny (broadly defined)
- Cool (broadly defined)
- Remote work with some essential office duties. Personal protective equipment will be provided during office hours.
This is a temporary position with a length of 32 weeks (8 months) from the start date in early September.
- Compensation: $15/hr, 20 hours a week
- Benefits: This position is part-time and is not eligible for benefits.
- Location: Missoula, MT.
- Start Date: September 8th (flexible)
- Application Deadline: Applicants are encouraged to apply early, but the position will remain open until filled.
Women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, and LGBTQ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to Annie Warner, Operations Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the email line “Operations Intern Application.”